14 December 2006

News.

I did not realise how much I miss having access to international news until a visit to the Canadian High Commission brought me back in touch with the Globe and Mail. I probably overstayed my visit, but a cup of coffee and the paper in my hands was incredibly refreshing. It was so good I almost stole the paper. Too bad they are not open on the weekends, or else I could turn it into my Saturday morning routine: roll out of bed, run to the High Commission, enjoy coffee and paper.

The popular newspaper here is very tabloidy and I cannot bring myself to pay for bad news. Although, the few times I have come across the paper, I cannot help but laugh when Brittney Spears gossip is printed before news on Iraq. I think news in general is hard to come by; anytime someone brings a paper into the office, people stop what they are doing and gather around the paper. Ironically enough, I think I knew more of what was happening in Zambia and Southern Africa before coming here. I sound spoiled saying this, but I do not yet have the patience to surf the internet on dial up – 28 kbps is far too slow. That is also my excuse for not posting pictures.

No comments: