08 December 2006

House.

I have moved into my flat (a condo or townhouse in North American standards). Is it wrong that it is nicer that some of the places I lived in as a student? Apparently, according to the person who manages housing, Canadians have a tendency to feel guilty when their accommodations are too posh. I suppose that follows the habit of incessantly saying sorry.

The house, which I share with a speech therapist from the UK is more spacious than it needs to be for two people. It has a kitchen, large living and dining area, three bedrooms, two full bathrooms, and a garden. The neighbourhood consists mostly of expats, UN workers, and embassy people. It feels weird living here, but I guess most middle/upper class including the staff I work with live in places like this (guarded compound). I am starting to think I have some kind of complex. Maybe somewhere in my subconscious I think that if I live as modestly as possible, I am making up for my privileged upbringing. There is a supermarket a ten minutes walk from the house, but for now I think I’m going to try to make it to the market in town once a week. Again, probably part of the complex, but I love getting fresh vegetables market.

No comments: