03 December 2006

First impressions.

Arriving in Lusaka, Zambia could not have gone more smoothly. Perfect would be an appropriate word. It was a bright sunny, comfortable 25-30C morning. A programme officer greeted us before going through immigration, making the entire process less confusing. Unfortunately, B’s luggage didn’t make it on the flight, so for the next few days I will be sharing shampoo and sunscreen with him. I would offer to share clothes, but I will probably just have to get used to his bright orange shirt.

After a short drive from the airport is the University of Zambia. We’re staying at a conference centre here for the next few days as we figure out accommodations and meet our employers. Seeing that lounging around what looks to be a botanical garden is not the best way to fight jetlag, we walked in the direction towards town. Not to far away from the university is a mall complex. This very suburban looking mall could be found anywhere in North America. There is even a Famous Players-esque movie theatre complete with teenage groupies. With the high percentage of luxury cars in the parking lot, classy seafood restaurant, and Safeway-looking grocery store, I couldn’t fight the few minutes of confusion. ie. “I’m in Zambia?” To put it blunty, perhaps, I was expecting to see some obvious signs of poverty.

I don’t feel like I stand out that much. Although, walking around with B in his glowing orange shirt elicits a few whistles. Subconsciously, I’m waiting for a “whoa, I’m in Zambia” moment, but everything is falling very comfortably into place. I’m sure this post sounds like we are on vacation, which for the next few days will be just that.

Upcoming events:
Meetings with other staff
Move into flat on Tuesday
“Work” to start on Wednesday
Attend official in-country training near the end of February (strange to be doing that three months in, but will aim to know all the phrases in the Nyanja pocket dictionary).

No comments: