31 January 2007

Two days in one

I realise I haven’t been blogging much about my work. I write at the end of the day and the events that seem to stick with me are ones that occur out of work. When my housemate and I dish out the good and bad of the day, it occurred to us that everyday is broken down to two almost separate worlds – mine very much so because I work in an office. The getting to and from work includes interactions with a myriad of people. Whereas, I have a better grasp and control of my work environment. The out of work world includes random minibus scuffles, comment beings shouted, and people asking for something. With what feels like living two days in each day, no wonder it feels like I’ve been here longer than I have.

In Lusaka, I have rationalised that so many people come to the capital city for something - to find work, get medical care, earn money, get married, etc. So there is a general air of trying to get something. In the towns or villages I’ve visited outside of Lusaka, very rarely has someone asked me directly to give them something. I don’t mind if people ask, but it begins to bother me when people demand or expect me to give them something. On a surface level, people outside of Lusaka seem nicer. I feel less judged and there seems to be less commotion about a foreigner. Even children outside Lusaka seems friendlier. There are nice kids in Lusaka, but there are also those who feel that a foreigner is someone to mock and make fun of. Then again, I guess Lusaka is like any capital city with its conveniences and unfortunate things that follow.

No comments: