09 January 2007

Christmas recap

My Christmas was spent with a street kids project in Lusaka. Although I had a few moments of missing snow, chocolate, and other Christmas comforts, it was refreshing to be far away from any signs of commercial Christmas. However, if one really wanted to see Santa Claus, mad shoppers, and Christmas carol, the two malls in Lusaka could definitely deliver. A friend working with street kids arranged a dinner for ten boys that stay in house not too far from me.

Upon arriving at the house, I immediately noticed how clean and tidy the boys’ clothes were. I couldn’t help but smile when I saw a number of the boys polishing their shoes. I doubt I would ever catch my brothers taking that much pride in their clothing, unless my mother threatened. While chatting with a few of the boys in the yard, I sat down on the grass – much to the horror of the boys. They probably thought I was crazy to sit on the ground, as none of them would dare risk a grass stain on their newly washed trousers.

The special dinner included salad, chips (French fries), sausage, chicken (I have not come across turkey in Zambia), rice, cake, and candy. When a usual meal consists of nshima (white carbohydrate paste made from maize), green vegetables, and maybe fish, this dinner was a feast. Even if it sounds like a cliché, it was very heart-warming to be in the company of people who truly appreciated each other’s company and the food they were able to have. The one Christmas that mattered to me was the one year when Dad was away and then he came back just in time for Christmas morning. Even if Christmas overtime became about the gifts and parties, the moments that stay are ones built on appreciating company and time spent together.

No comments: