05 July 2007

Alas no fish

Got back yesterday from a fabulous four days on the Kafue River.
Fishing didn't exactly happen, but got lots of sun and reading in. I'm
enjoying my tan and the book won't be leaving my mind anytime soon
(Infidel – read it; we all have an obligation to acknowledge her
story).

Most of the people at this lodge were white South Africans. A lot of
them are doing business with the mines in the Copperbelt. The
camp/lodge seemed to be their chosen place to meet up with family and
friends. It was interesting to be in their company. I think they found
us ridiculous, especially when we said that we had taken a minibus and
then hitched to get to the lodge. Obviously, when you have money, you
can live very well in Africa. I had never seen a speedboat equipped
with a sound system worthy of the coolest teenage boy until now. It is
easy to judge non-black people that live here, but at this lodge, I
found most people appreciated and were thankful for the local staff
that helped make their vacation completely relaxing and responsibility
free. One young South African guy made a point to say, "It's not
racism; it's just two different ways of life coinciding. I have a boat
and I can also pay a local villager to fuel and wash my boat, so that
he feed his family." I see his point; though I don't think I can live
that way… the contrast is too much. However, I don't seem to have a
problem to mooch of people who do live that way. I got a lift back to
Lusaka with a South African couple in their giant 4x4 hauling a giant
boat. It doesn't exactly compare with a cramped, overloaded, brakes
only sort of work minibus.

Anyway, I'm back in Lusaka for a little bit. What I'm up to these next
few days: 1. Holding a workshop for my colleagues to develop the
organisation's three year strategic plan. Blah. 2. Planning my next
getaway. Hmm… where to next.

No comments: