29 June 2007

Silly Boys

On a typical Thursday afternoon, I was making my way from my office to
a school in town. It is generally one of the more positive walking
experiences, mostly because I know most of the people I pass. There
are all the gardeners, guards, people who sell stuff, and the man that
fixes my shoes. On this particularly Thursday, a few hundred metres
before reaching the main road to catch the bus, I noticed three young
men carrying 50kg bags of maize on their head. They stood out because
normally you never see young men doing anything, much less
transporting food on their heads.

One boy put down the sack to take a drink of water and in doing so
noticed that I was walking about 10 metres behind them. When he put
the load back on his head, he quickly jogged to catch up to his
friends, my guess to tell them about me. By this point, I had closed
the distance to about 5 metres; one boy snuck a quick glance, but
couldn't really turn his head around because of the weight of the bag.
Of course, the other boy had to look as well. Unfortunately, he turned
too quickly and the bag started to slide from his head. It threw his
balance, so not only did his bag fall to the ground, his foot slipped
off the tarmac road onto the dirt shoulder causing him to stumble. Not
surprisingly, his friends laughed at him. I took this chance to pass
the group and even as he tried to stroke his ego by calling out to me,
he remained the one making the fool of himself. That is one tale of
three silly boys.

This has to be one the funniest incident to happen to me yet. I wonder
what would happen if someone knockout gorgeous walked down the street.
It seems silly Zambian boys would be knocked off their feet,
literally.

//

Hurray! Heading out of Lusaka for long weekend - sun, books, and good
friends. Happy Canada Day!

No comments: