19 February 2007

A nod to B

B, previously referred to as the fabulous travelling companion and fellow Canadian in Lusaka pointed out that we are now on week 12 in Zambia… whew! Three months! Where did January go? I must have stopped counting after the first month because I can’t seem to recall marking two month in country. With people on placements, there are those who count up and those who count down – 21 months to go for me (okay… so a countdown is a tad premature). Since B and I arrived at the same time, it’s nice on touch bases on our experiences so far.

I think we’re both settled in our houses. Mine came with housemates and their input on minibus routes, work issues, and life in Lusaka have been invaluable. I initially wrote about my house being too nice and too far out of town, but I must admit that I appreciate having a quiet place to come home to at the end of the day. I just need to get rid of the kids and/or the trampoline next door – Saturday, 7am trampolining is unacceptable. B’s house is even further out of town. It is a relatively new community with nameless streets. Getting a taxi means going to find one on the major road off the roundabout because directing one to the house is practically impossible.

My house and office are on opposite sides of the city. Luckily, most days I get a ride. The times that I’ve taken public transport to work took me an hour and a half for what is normally a 10 minutes journey by car. It is possible that walking might takes less time than catching a bus into town and then back out the other side of town. However, I should not complain because B has been dealing with a 45 minute bike ride or a two hour minibus journey. B riding his shiny bike through a compound stirs up all sorts of attention. Literally, people come to a complete stop and stare. I suppose white men on bicycles don’t come through compounds too often. If there weren’t enough hazards on the road, the people who get so distracted by B almost cause accidents themselves.

In terms of work, we both work with organisations that specifically work to meet the needs of orphans and vulnerable children. I work with a network of community schools: teachers, student, parents, and community leaders. B’s organisation comprises of a community school, health centre, drop in centre, and orphanage that provides for street kids and orphans in Lusaka. In one way or another we are both supposed to be build the capacity of the organisation. The question is whether the organisation and our colleagues are actually receptive to building their own capacity. I think everyone has expectation for their external advisor, but unfortunately most people focus on how B and I can bring in money to our respective organisations. Even with the issues of management and accountability, I will say that B unapologetically works for the children.

B, I’ll try to keep up your superstar status in this blog ;)

No comments: