20 February 2007

Building a community school teacher training package

I am currently involved in a workshop to build a community school training package. There is a wealth of teacher training materials in Zambia. The training manuals are rich with methods, techniques, and support for teachers. The acronyms still boggle my mind, but I uncovered a few:

CHANGES – Community Health and Nutrition, Gender and Education Support
REX – Read on Express
SPRINT – School Program In-service Training
GEMS – Gender in Math and Science
SHN (pronounced shin) – School Health and Nutrition
HIMs – Head Teacher In-service Meetings
ZATEC – Zambia Teacher Education Curriculum

I was sceptical with what another training package would do, but in the last few days I am encouraged with the focus on how community teachers can actually use the materials… sort of a guide to existing materials. Perhaps, maybe the manual developed help get materials and support to schools on the ground. It is easy to fall back to theory, but having community teachers in the workshop is keeping people grounded to making materials practical and useable. Sweet (or so I think).

No comments: