12 March 2007

Youth Day

March 12 is Youth Day in Zambia – a national holiday to recognise the efforts of young people during independence. Students in their school uniforms marched on Independence Avenue and the president addressed them in front of Freedom Statue. I went to meet a friend coming into Lusaka this morning at a bus station just off Independence Avenue. The road was blocked off for the march, so the minibuses were diverted and I had to walk a few extra blocks. Since people had filled the sidewalks, I figured I would just walk in front of them instead of elbowing my way through the crowd. As I walked along the edge of the road, I vaguely heard someone call out/whistle. It didn’t register as anything, so I kept walking. Before I knew it, a white-gloved hand was on my shoulder, and a booming voice said, “What is your problem?” I was stunned. I think I replied, “umm, I don’t have a problem; just going to the bus station.” “You see everyone getting off the road, what is your problem!” he continued. “Sorry, I need to get to the bus station. How should I get there?” I ask, pointing in the direction of the station. “Go! Okay, just go,” he barked back. For a few seconds there, I thought I was actually doing something illegal. There were tons of people running back and forth across the road, so I think it was a police officer on a power trip. Either that or he decided to pick on me for the amusement of the hushed crowd intensely watching the exchange.

No comments: