16 March 2007

Behind the wall

Yesterday, I met with the teachers at a school on the outskirts of Lusaka. As I walked from the main road to the school, I passed a small brick enclosure with very scary looking barbwire. It looked like a miniature jail. At first glance, I had no idea what in the enclosure would need that much security. Upon peeking through a crack in the metal door gate, I saw two water pumps. So, I gather the wall is to keep people from tampering with the pumps and ensure the water is safe to drink. I am not entirely sure who gets to use the water, but it looks like you would need a key, literally. When passed it on my way out, one teacher said that it was a Japanese funded project (sure enough, there was a tasteful Japanese flag on the gate) and the security is mostly to prevent people from selling the pumps for money in desperate times. Makes sense, I guess. To me, it would be like receiving a box of chocolates, but then only being allowed to have a piece to eat, give away, or whatever, when the donor says the box can be open. This got me thinking about donor control and tied aid. Whoever holds the money has the power.

No comments: